Tuesday, November 25, 2008

My Own Two Feet

About a year ago when I was working in a library, I picked up My Own Two Feet by Beverly Cleary. Having recently read Clementine, which reminded me of Ramona, I was inspired to track down another copy and finish it.

My Own Two Feet continues her autobiography first tackled in A Girl From Yamhill. In this portion, Cleary tells about her college experience in California during the Depression, her wedding to husband Clarence, her diverse experience as a librarian, and finally the writing of her first book.

Cleary shares a lot about her relationship with her mother, which is very strained. There's nothing like reading about a real-life tense mother-daughter relationship to make me realize how lucky I am. Cleary's mom was a real biddy! Impossible to please.

An aspect of this book I really enjoyed is that you feel like Cleary is simply talking to you. The writing isn't anything fancy. It just is what it is.

Recommendation: If you are as amazed with Beverly Cleary as I am, surely you'll want to know more about her life story.

1 comment:

Liza P. said...

i will have to check this one out. sounds interesting. i love reading biographies on fascinating women in history (esp. authors/writers)