Monday, December 24, 2007

Young Adult Book Challenge

I'm very excited to join the Young Adult Book Challenge.

After taking a closer look and thinking over my list, I realized it's really more on the Juvenile Fiction side of things. Especially considering I created it based on Newbery Award winners and Young Reader's Choice nominees, (in addition to other books). But... I haven't come across an "Upper-Intermediate Grade Level Almost Young Adult Book Challenge" so hopefully no one protests. (And I really kinda like that it's 2/3 female authors.)

The List:
1. Misadventures of Maude Marche: Or Trouble Rides a Fast Horse by Audrey Couloumbis
2. Stumptown Kid by Carol Gorman
3. Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry
4. Chicken Boy by Frances Oroa Dowell
5. Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata
6. Criss Cross by Lynn Rae Perkins
7. The Higher Power of Lucky by Susan Patron
8. Holes by Louis Sacher
9. Frindle by Andrew Clements
10. The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier
11. Brian's Winter by Gary Paulsen
12. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

I can't wait to get started.

1 comment:

Joy said...

Welcome to the YA Challenge! Glad to have you with us. :)

Below is a 'cut and paste' of a comment on the YA Challenge post that pertains to your book choices:

Louise said...
...I was making my list and feel that some may be more kids books than strict YA. Any rules about that?

9:52 PM
Joy said...
Louise ~ ...In answer to your question, I'm going to leave that decision up to you; however, Young Adult (YA) books are usually geared towards the teen years. You might find it helpful to look up your choices on Amazon; it often indicates whether a book is YA or not.