Saturday, December 29, 2007

Wigfield: The Can-Do Town that Just May Not


Wigfield: The Can-Do Town that Just May Not by Amy Sedaris, Paul Dinello, & Stephen Colbert

I don't really know what to say about this book. I was looking for an easy humorous read for the holidays and stumbled across Wigfield. (Not sure how!) I was familiar with Amy Sedaris having read her book, I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence. And of course I knew Stephen Colbert from the Colbert Report. Paul Dinello... I don't know much about him, but I can guess.

Basically, the book is the story of Wigfield, a small "town" in the shadow of a dam. It's told from both the perspective of journalist Russel Hokes and the townspeople themselves. The town is distraught over the government's proposal to tear down the dam and obliterate the town. What will the residents of Wigfield do?

It would be an understatement to say this book is crazy. I would honestly say it's out of control. Although it was a humorous read, the same effect could have been accomplished in half as many pages.

Recommendation: If you have time to spare, give it a try. If you're not into off-the-wall humor, stand back.

No comments: