Friday, September 19, 2008

Mrs. Dalloway

Surprisingly I'd never read any Virginia Woolf before... I'd always meant to...

So I put Mrs. Dalloway down on my list of 1% Well-Read Challenge books.

The novel plays out a single day in the life of Mrs. Dalloway, a London socialite, as she prepares for a party and struggles with the reappearance of an old love.

I can't lie. It wasn't a smooth reading experience... always. I started the book and struggled with focusing on all the characters and all the happenings. The novel plays out over a single day without any natural breaks. It's hard to find good stopping places! (Which is probably why I put the book on hiatus and read 5 others.)

When I had the time and mental clarity to enjoy the book, I really really did. I liked the transitions between characters and all of the connections between the players. It's like one long tracking shot, which is one of my favorite techniques in film to watch develop.

Recommendation: If you had the time and patience to read it in all one sitting, I think it'd be an amazing reading experience. If you don't, try to keep your mind from wandering. It will save you a lot of rereading.

1 comment:

Jim Harris said...

I'm reading through the reviews at the 1% Well Read Challenge site and saw your link. Thanks for the warning about Mrs. Dalloway. I have the paper edition, but I think I'll definitely need to get the audio edition to enjoy this book. I find listening to hard to get into books makes them easier to read and enjoy.