Friday, June 6, 2008

How to Live Your Dream of Volunteering Overseas


As someone who often feels like she's in that quarter-life crisis mode... you know, you graduate college and the world just won't stop handing you swift kicks to the gut? Then there's the bounce between..."I'm only 23 and I'm supposed to decide these things?" and "I'm already 23 and I haven't decided these things!" Needless to say, I've been exploring options.

How to Live Your Dream of Volunteering Overseas
by Josheph Collins, Stefano DeZerega, and Zahara Heckscher definitely offers food for thought when thinking over the possible adventures to include in life.

Basically, the book is the combined research of 3 well-traveled and experienced international volunteers. It provides numerous thought provoking questions for the potential volunteer. For example, it suggests thinking about your views on development and making sure they are compatible with your volunteer organization and their projects. Seems simple, but that honestly had not crossed my mind.

The book also includes an extensive overview of the Peace Corps (confirmed my suspicions, more bad than good), as well as profiles over 100 volunteer organizations.

The best tip I gleaned from the book to aid in my upcoming trip to Peru: If traveling with a partner, pack half of your clothing in your partner's pack. If the airlines lose your luggage, you won't be left with nothing. Smart.

I decided to substitute this book into my selections for the Non-Fiction Five Challenge.

Recommendation: If you've ever wanted to go somewhere to do something, this is a good book to help you clarify your goals and put your "adventure" into perspective.

1 comment:

Rebecca Reid said...

Sounds like good preparation for your trip.

I spent a few months in Bolivia one summer in college and I loved it! Just three days in Peru. And yes, one of the volunteer groups that came through for just one week had all their luggage delayed for about three days. All of the group, that is. Pack a spare change of clothes in your carry on always!