Friday, June 13, 2008

1% Well-Read Challenge

I came across this challenge the other day, and was so very nerdily excited to join. The challenge is based on the list from 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die. All you have to do is challenge yourself to read 1% of the list, which... is 10 books! The challenge runs for 10 months, starting back in May and going through February '09. So very manageable. (1% Well-Read Challenge)

When I came across this challenge I immediately downloaded the list so I could highlight the books I have already read, and mark potential titles. (See what I mean about my nerdy excitement?) Turns out I've already read 5.9% of the list, so 59 books. I was feeling pretty good about that until I noticed how many books other people have already read! Oh well!

Potential Ten Titles:
1. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
2. Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
3. The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen
4. Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran
5. Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh
6. Sometimes a Great Notion by Ken Kesey
7. Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis
8. Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
9. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
10. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

I'm almost certain this list will mutate over the next few months.

No comments: