Saturday, January 12, 2008

Frindle


All over school libraries I kept seeing books by Andrew Clements with the blurb, "By the author of FRINDLE" ... really now. It was getting annoying. What was this Frindle all about? I had to know.

So I bought it, I read it, I love it.

Frindle by Andrew Clements is a very lovable little book for middle readers.

Nick is now in 5th grade and his teacher is tough. She's in love with words and in love with the dictionary. When she makes a point to Nick, "dog means dog because you say it does" (ok, I'm paraphrasing there)... Nick decides to explore how far he can push the limits of language. When the whole 5th grade, then the school, then students at other schools, join in... can it ever be stopped?

It's been especially fun to be in classrooms and meet students who are reading the book.

1 comment:

Tasha said...

I read Frindle for the same reason as you, and like you, I enjoyed it. With all the trashy books out there for young readers these days, it was refreshing to read a story that was wholesome and had a point.