Friday, January 20, 2012

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian



A came across A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka while I was browsing at a book store in Kuala Lumpur. I was looking for something nice and light for my plane ride the next day. I was drawn to the unique title and the quotes on the cover. This book was going to be funny.

Well, it wasn't really funny, more like amusing. I didn't laugh out loud but I was kept entertained.

Nadezdha's father has fallen in love with a young beautiful woman from the old country. His new love has high expectations and Nadezhda quickly becomes worried. What could this younger woman see in her elderly father? It becomes quite clear that she's more interested in fancy cars, new appliances, and a good school for her son than she is in Nadezhda's father. To rescue her father Nadezhda must first join forces with her estranged sister. The series of events that follow are sometimes sad, sometimes silly, but consistently entertaining.

Recommendation: Suitable for the beach or plane, you'll learn a lot about tractors too

No comments: