Monday, December 28, 2009

Around the World in 80 Days


Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne is another great book to read while traveling or living abroad. I picked it up at a used book shop in Dubai the other day. Although this copy was marked as a children's classic the shop keeper couldn't find any mention of it being abridged.

Do you know the story? I thought I did. Turns out I was close but had a few silly notions in my head from the film version. When the daily paper announces it is now possible to circumnavigate the globe in 80 days, Phileas Fogg enters a bet with his fellowss at the Reform Club to do just that. He sets off later that evening with his new yet loyal servant, Passepartout, determined to arrive back in London in exactly 80 days.

The story itself is quite exciting. It's easy to imagine readers keeping tabs on Fogg when the story first appeared in serial form. The love story is a bit dry... but I supposed ol' Jules wasn't much of a lover.

Recommendation: A fun read when you're adventuring to a new place or just wishing you were.

No comments: