Monday, July 27, 2009

The Awful Truths


I noticed The Awful Truths: Famous Myths, Hilariously Debunked by Brian Thomsen at Powell's the other day and thought it might be a nice quick summer read. It was ok.

Some of the "myths" I wasn't even aware of... so their debunking wasn't all that "hilarious" ... or I wasn't familiar with the famous people involved.

An example: "The Awful Truth is that these famous cartoon characters...Tigger and Dick Dastardly were voiced by Paul Winchell (inventor of the artificial heart)."

My reaction to some of these was, "Oh, that's neat."

And I do have to point out one mistake in the book. In a chapter devoted to explaining how many teen movies were actually based on older works of literature (I didn't think that was a secret), Thomsen states that the movie 10 Things I Hate About You (based on The Taming of the Shrew) takes place in a "Califorian 90210 high school." Anyone who grew up in the Pacific Northwest knows that the movie actually took place in Seattle... and the high school in question is located in Tacoma.

Recommendation: More of a browser.

No comments: