Monday, January 19, 2009

The Corrections


Thanks to 6 cumulative hours on the train this past weekend, I was able to finally finish The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen. I sort of chose a hefty book to bring me back to my own age group... so several hours of focused train reading was the perfect strategy to make some progress.

Originally I chose this book as part of the 1% Well-Read Challenge. However, I don't think I'll meet the deadline. So instead I'll say this book was recommended to me by a friend in college who may or may not have also been on my huge long crush list sophomore year. (Totally was).

Ok. The Corrections is the story of a dysfunctional (?) family trying to come together for one last Christmas together before the father's health completely deteriorates. The large chunk of the book is devoted to back story explaining why the idea of one last Christmas is either so horribly important (Enid's view) or so horribly taxing (the rest of the family).

I didn't overlook the deeper meaning or the "correction" connections, but I am having a hard time verbalizing my thoughts. Maybe this is a book we should talk about over tea?

Recommendation: Hang in there for the juicy bits and the somewhat tidy ending.

No comments: