Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Criss Cross


Criss Cross by Lynne Rae Perkins was my ninth read for the Young Adult Challenge. I loved it. I would have read it in one sitting if trivial little things like cooking dinner hadn't of gotten in the way. It was one of those books where you tell yourself you'll just read for 30 more minutes... but those 30 minutes only feel like 5, so you keep going. And then you've read so far you might as well just finish the book... Good.

The story swirls around a group of friends who are 14 with Debbie getting the most page time (Hector in second). Debbie wishes for something good to happen to her. Hector is learning guitar. Both are entertaining their first exchanges with love as well as realizing subtle changes in their friendships. I'm struggling to explain the plot because I want to do it justice. It's hard to describe authentic characters who are not purposefully tied down to gimmicks.

You'll probably just have to read it.

(Note: I'd place this book on the border of Middle Reader / Young Adult.)

Recommendation: There's a reason it won a Newberry.

No comments: