Saturday, August 9, 2008

When You Are Engulfed In Flames


So. I was really excited to read When You Are Engulfed In Flames by David Sedaris. I really like him. I even paid to watch a video-feed of him speak when he came to my college 2 years ago. (And I really enjoyed watching the parents and grandparents walk out on him, [it was Parents' Weekend]).

But. I really did not like this book. Usually Sedaris' books are laugh-out-loud, "oh my, let me read this to you", I can't put it down type books. Seriously. I only chuckled out loud maybe 3 times. Lousy record.

A couple of the essays I enjoyed most were: The Smoking Section and Solution to Saturday's Puzzle.

Recommendation: If you're already a fan of Sedaris you'll read this because you must. If you're new to Sedaris, start with Naked or Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim.

No comments: